My work in 10 bylines
- Why water insecurity is a crisis for women | Valuing Water Initiative
- Why migrants are excluded from Covid vaccinations | The Bureau of Investigative Journalism (collaboration)
- How property investors push lower earners off the housing ladder | The Big Issue
- Growing up as an immigrant in Carlisle | The Independent
- The race to save an ice-age fish | The India Story Agency
- How retailers use psychology to get us to spend more | The Guardian
- How to cope without toilet paper | Metro
- 10 must-know resources for freelance writers | Business Insider
- The Student Loan interest rate – explained | The Guardian
- Going to uni? Check out these sources of extra funding | Student Space
I’m a former editor of The Push Guide to Which University (print book series) and author of The Student Moneymanual 2012-2019. I create digital content, including websites and copywriting, for charities and government agencies.
I work remotely on comms, PR and copywriting, including for and about young audiences. I typically work with content agencies, commissioning editors, charities / third sector and brand or product owners.
I created and write The Haughty Culturist, a site which unpacks storytelling techniques in film and literature.
My experience in publishing and journalism spans:
- Words in the UK national press and outlets all over the web
- PR and data stories for Save the Student (online – student money advice)
- Editorial Manager, FitPro (print magazines – health & fitness: consumer, B2B)
- Editor, The Push Guide to Which University (print book series – higher education)
- Regional journalist, Mondiale Publishing (trade press – bars, restaurants and clubs)
- Author and project editor, The Student Moneymanual.
Why editors hire me
- Writing blog posts, reported features and data-led stories
- Writing and successfully placing press releases and case studies in national and local press
- Planning surveys and finding stories in data
- Flatplanning, scheduling and creating magazine content on time and within budget
- Proofreading & developmental editing, including for multiple departments and authors
- Creating standalone websites and editing stakeholder content
- Managing digital content with WordPress, Umbraco, HTML, CSS, Google Analytics / Trends and more.
Need help with content or editorial consultancy? Get in touch.